Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What's For Dinner Wednesday--Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese

Today, with my lovingly, amazingly, wonderful mother, I canned for the FIRST time.  And I have to say, I'm pretty proud of myself.  We made 17 jars of salsa and I cut up 4 jalepenos without gloves and managed to burn every orifice on my face.  Multiple times.


In any case, tomorrow, I will be attempting a coconut cream pie and a virgin pina colada, thanks to two coconuts I have sitting on my counter.  And a Cafe Rio Salad for my friend, Emily, who is in Germany and undergoing serious Cafe Rio withdrawals.  I'm going to perfect it--and it's salad dressing--for next week's new recipe.  


I know.  It's like some domestic alien has completely taken over my body and I have no control.  Every morning, I wake up and wonder what new thing I can do in the kitchen.  Like Frozen Key Lime Pie.  Key Lime Pie is my FAVORITE food ever.


But, today, you just get plain old boring Mac and Cheese from the Weight Watcher cookbook:


2 1/4 C elbow macaroni
1 C fat free milk (I used mine up in the yogurt-making process, so I had to go with 1%.  I think there's only a 20 calorie difference, but obviously, more fat.)
3/4 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 C shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/3 C shredded American cheese (something tells me this isn't the Kraft singles that I had bought for the recipe)
1/3 C shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/2 tsp ground white pepper

1.  Cook the macaroni according to package directions.  Drain and return to the pot.

2.  Add the milk, cheddar, Monterey Jack, American cheese, Mozzarella and pepper.  Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the cheeses melt, about 5 minutes.
_________________________________

This was a really quick meal that was pretty decent.  I didn't have any sharp cheddar cheese and I think it would've spruced it up a bit, but overall it was a good meal.  I served it with fresh green beans (my favorite) and sourdough bread.  Much better than the yellow death kind from a box.

Nutritional Information:
Serving Size: generous 1 cup
Calories: 299
Fat: 9 g
Sat. Fat: 5 g
Cholesterol: 30 mg
Sodium: 353 mg
Carbohydrates: 35 g
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 18 g
Calcium: 402 mg
WW Points: 7

2 comments:

The Whitaker Family said...

hmmm, I wonder what the low/non-fat varieties of those cheeses would have done to the taste. Probably killed it. Not too horrible on the points though-- surprising. Might have to try this one! (btw, skim and 1% milk both have same point value...)

And check you out!!!!! I'm flabbergasted and blown away and excited for you! Can't wait for our drive down to Lehi Sat. AM so I can hear all about it and everything else!

WEmily said...

Hooray for the Cafe Rio Salad!