Monday, June 21, 2010

The End

Due to some turn of events and patience on our part, today, we were thisclose to putting an offer on our dream house.

Yes, the very one that we've been pining over for 18 months.

We had the prequalification papers in hand. We had our realtor ready to call the house's realtor. And then we decided we better be sure.  So we popped up there for one more look.

And found that all the appliances were taken out and someone had cut the air conditioner unit pipes, stripped the copper, and taken the condenser from outside.  Amounting to about $5000 we would have to ante up to just move in.  Plus, the bathroom's tub faucet was leaking, causing some serious damage to the tub.

Also, we were taking a HUGE risk, because we were going to do all this BEFORE putting our current house on the market since a "contingency" offer was not available. Which meant that we would be carrying two mortgages until we could sell this house.  Which could be a while.  While doable, this would certainly stretch us and completely put us under if there was an emergency.

And, I don't know if I've mentioned this or not, but we are poised to have this house paid for, in the clear, in like five years.  Which would then open us up to some serious homes.

So what have we learned?  Well, (a) We definitely want to stay out here.  We aren't planning on moving back to Salt Lake (sorry family) and (b) it pays to be patient.  But sometimes not how you intend.  

When we left this evening, I knew I was looking at it for the last time.  It just didn't feel like "home" once it was actually attainable.  The view is incredible.  And the house is still really nice.  Just not for us.  Am I disappointed?  Sure.  But I'll get over it.  Especially when I'm not making all my own bread and eating beans for dinner because we overstretched ourselves.  

So I guess it really is the end.  Funny how things work out.

3 comments:

Renae said...

Glad to hear you feel like you made the right decision. HOWEVER now that you are "semi"undomestic I see bread baking in the near future. Not because you stretched yourself too thin with mortgage payments but because you enjoy mastering the kitchen. :) P.S. I love that when I read something on fb that makse me go "huh?" I have a place to come for the whole story. :)

The Whitaker Family said...

Yeah, I'm glad you feel good about it too-- that's the most important thing. And it'll work out for the best in the end.

Juliana said...

Bummer to let go of a dream. Here's hoping for awesome NEW dreams to take its' place! :)