Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Family Fun

This last weekend, we had the grand opportunity to attend two (2!) reunions.

I'll give you a moment to get your envy under control.

Are we good?  Good.

First up was the annual Hadlock family reunion.  If you'll remember, last year, someone invited the blood bank and then forgot to mention it to most everyone.

I refer it to Vampires at our BBQ.

This year, there was no such thing.  It was pretty normal, actually.  Some funny incidents:

(a) Each family group is in charge of their own food.  Every year, we do a deli sandwich spread and the kids fill in the details.  Wade and I usually bring chips.  Wade's sister brings fruit and Wade's younger brother brings dessert.  This year, Wade's younger brother wasn't going to be up there until after work and Wade's other brother and sister were coming. They haven't been there for a couple of years.  So, when I called Wade's dad on Thursday afternoon to see what kind of Cheetos he wanted, he mentioned I should also bring cookies.  Oh, and those little brownie bites.  I picked up 36 cookies and a thing of brownie bites from Costco.

As did Wade's sisters and his mom.  So we had 126 cookies.  For 7 adults.

Where did the communication barrier break down?  Apparently, Wade's dad told us ALL to bring cookies.

(b) Grandma is pushing 90 this year.  She's starting to go downhill and inevitably, the talk turned to what to do once she goes.  Wade's uncle was contemplating ending the reunion once Grandma is gone.

What?  Am I not allowed to associate with you people once she goes?  Is she our ONLY common bond?

On second thought...maybe she is?

(c) This particular incident is only somewhat funny because it wasn't me.  Wade's brother and his wife are expecting their third kid in less than a month.  They showed up late in the afternoon, stepped out of the vehicle and promptly locked and shut the doors--with the keys inside.  So Wade's brother had to get a ride down to Lehi and get their spare key and then head back--about an hour and a half round trip.  I thought my SIL took it pretty well.  If it would've been me, there definitely would've been some tears and a few swear words and I would've been the one to drive home for the key.  And taken an hour long bubble bath before heading back.  Hitting Cafe Rio on the way.  I guess that's why I have two kids 4 years apart, and they're on their third kid in 3 years.

As I was watching her chase her two younger ones, I was reminded at how glad I am to NOT BE pregnant right now.

See?  Not a whole lot going on this year.

The next day, we headed up to Downey, Idaho for the Woodland family reunion/Grandma's 90th birthday party.  I wasn't sure what to expect.  We showed up and it was a completely different reunion experience.  For example, Wade's family allows the reunion to happen around them, soaking in each moment from their camp chairs.  There are no scheduled activities.  Dinnertime is whenever.  A few games scattered during the day.  Visit with who you want.  Take a nap.  Read a book.  Whatever.

My family would be the complete opposite.  The party started at noon.  We were able to chat with cousins and aunts and uncles for awhile, but then the potluck lunch was served.  During lunch we played a rousing game of Jeopardy with questions/answers pertaining to Grandma's life.  After lunch we played a game of Jumble, grandma's favorite game from the newspaper.  My sister-in-law and I were able to get every word. Then it was off on a treasure hunt through the little town of Downey (population 610).  It was there that I saw these two postings:

At the tennis courts.  Make sure you keep your horses off dangit!

At the rodeo grounds.  Is there a huge market for a combined Rodeo/Bible camp?  Is the Lord riding with you on that horse?  How about if you take your horse on the tennis court?

We went around the town and saw the Senior Citizen Center where Grandma eats lunch twice a week and does her Fit and Fallproof class every morning at 8 am.  And then over to the war memorial they just put up.  Both my grandma and my grandpa served in WWII.  (Grandma was a nurse).


Then we went to the hospital that my grandma worked at for years.  Then back to the park where grandma was waiting for us.  We had to make up a birthday song for her and sing it and the pose for a group shot.


We sang a song from Primary.  Apparently, we all failed primary because we couldn't remember the words.

After everyone returned from the treasure hunt, we played another game about grandma's life.  We had to dress up in costumes.  I swear I took a picture of Wade in his fairy wings but somehow it disappeared off the camera.

Which is a shame because that picture would've come in handy.

He gave the wings to Josh for this lovely group shot:

Then it was time for cake and ice cream and cotton candy (thanks to the machine that Wade's dad bought for the Hadlock family reunion: reason #1 the Hadlock family reunion must continue on after Grandma is gone) and some more chatting and then everyone packed up and left.

It was jam-packed and a completely different experience than the Hadlock reunion.  But it was A LOT of fun too.  I was able to get caught up with some cousins who are into running and triathlons.

Both reunions were fun, but I'm glad their annual events and not weekly events.

2 comments:

Juliana said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. But I bet you're glad it's over, too. :)

The Whitaker Family said...

We always have our reunions in the fall but they're never as funny (or even fun) as yours both sounded... Loved the signs! And Wade's family reunion sounds like it'd be more up my alley. Esp. if there were cousins to watch, I mean play, with my kids and then I'd read a book. ;)