So, my good buddy Mary is always commenting on my weekly recipes. But the thing is I know that Mary doesn't eat half of the stuff I post because it's so high in calories or fat and she's a good girl. Then I got to thinking (about mile 8 in the Memorial Day Half Marathon that I was running with Mary (pictures to come soon) where Mary had left me in the dust and I was all alone on what could possibly be the most boring and unscenic 13 miles EVER) that perhaps Mary was on to something. Maybe we could all stand to eat a little healthier. So, as my commitment to my good buddy Mary, who is looking for new healthy recipes, and because I'm in a health kick right now anyways I'm going to finish off the year with a healthy recipe every week. Or at least more healthy recipes than not. We'll see how it goes.
This week--Sicilian Fusilli with Spinach, Ricotta and Raisins. I found a Weight Watchers cookbook at the library yesterday and checked it out. It has a lot of good (lookin') recipes. So many in fact, that I might just have to order myself a copy. Anyways, that's where I found this recipe.
First things first, Fusilli is a type of pasta. It's a funny name for corkscrew pasta, I think, because that's what it looks like. I could only find a whole wheat version at the market I was at. I know Wade and the kids don't like whole wheat pasta, so I made them up a batch of wide egg noodles since that was the closest thing I had in the cupboard.
So, here's the recipe:
2 T golden raisins
2 C fusilli
1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
4 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 C Parmesan cheese
1/4 C part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 tsp ground white pepper (black pepper is fine)
1. In a small bowl, soak the raisins in hot water to cover until soft and plumped, about 10 minutes. Drain.
2. Cook the fusilli according to package directions; drain and place in a serving bowl.
3. Meanwhile, cook the spinach according to package directions; drain, squeezing out the excess liquid.
4. In a medium skillet, heat oil. Saute the onion until softened, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat and stir in the spinach and salt; cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
SIDE NOTE: I have never seen spinach wilt, so I have no idea what this step means.
Add the spinach, raisins, Parmesan, and ricotta to the fusilli; toss to combine then sprinkle with the pepper.
Per serving (about 1 1/2 C): 302 Cal, 10 g fat, 3 g Sat fat, 0 g trans fat, 13 mg Chol, 408 mg Sod, 40 g Carb, 3 g Fib, 14 g Prot, 280 mg Calc. WW Points: 6.
Wouldn't you know it, I forgot to put the raisins in. But what we did eat, it was really good. And this was a quick meal to make. About 20 minutes start to finish if you can multi-task the pasta and the spinach.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I had to LOL about how many times you used my name in the first paragraph! Made me feel loved... :) Ok, I'll definitely try out this recipe-- you're such a good friend! :>
Post a Comment