- One leg and the tops of both feet plus an armpit got sunburnt today at swimming lessons. I guess the spray-on sunblock is not as effective in the wind.
- Speaking of the wussy, pasty white skin that I was blessed with, I've passed on an even wussier, pastier skin tone to my darling girl. It's a CHORE to make sure that she doesn't burn. Because, in the ten minutes it took me to find a bandaid for Josh in the swimming pool office, she managed to get a little pinkish. Even though she wasn't in direct sunlight. Josh was blessed with a deeper skin tone than either of his parents (the mailman has a nice shade of skin, I've noticed. Kidding. Wade's dad has a nice tone. As does my dad. The mailman is actually a maillady.) and so I have gotten use to being not as diligent getting the sunblock on AS SOON AS WE WAKE UP as I have to be with little Aunika, lest she sit at a stoplight too long in the pathway of the dangerous sun on our way to the pool.
- We had our own little Fourth of July party at our house with just the four of us. It was nice--burnt bbq pork chops, 2 year old temper tantrum thrown by a 4 year old, bug bites, and lame fireworks that were no match for the illegals that were going off down the street, yet apparently too much for Josh to handle as he spent the entire time with his ears plugged and his head lowered. Still it was our little family and that's all that matters. And popsicles were involved and everything is just a little bit better when there's popsicles.
- Still thinking about the dream house. Rationalizing why we should live there and not here. You know the usual. It's really so not like us to be holding on to something so seemingly unattainable, but neither one of us can shake it. Driving home last night from visiting my new niece, Wade looked over and sighed saying "the house and it's windows just glinted at me" as we were admiring the gorgeous sunset. At least we didn't drop in to view the sunset from the deck. Or watch fireworks from it as I proposed Saturday night. Saturday, we took some friends up there to see it and Josh stole a flyer from the For Sale sign. Once home, he cut out the picture of the house and asked me if this is "the house we like." Yes, yes it is.
- In keeping with the house theme, we came to a realization Saturday night that made us both sad and ashamed. I won't say what it is, but we have A LOT of habits that need to be changed should we want to put our home on the market in the future. Sigh. Laziness is so much easier.
- I have a new niece, that my brother was hoping would be a new nephew since they've had three girls already, that was born yesterday morning. She weighed in at a whooping 10 pounds 1 ounce. She's adorable and doesn't look to have been born with the dominant head shape that my brother has passed on to the others. Time will tell though. In any case, there was no baby hunger that filled my soul when I looked down at her like there was when I was holding babies about this time after I had Josh (confession--because, it was another 3 years before I could talk myself into actually doing it again since the rational part of my brain was like ARE YOU KIDDING?). Yesterday, it was like "oh, here's sweet Emily. She's so cute. Oh, let me hold you. Because that's what new aunts do. Has enough time elapsed that it doesn't look like I'm just throwing this baby at the next available set of arms? Hmmm....here you go mom." Perhaps my attitude was slightly marred by church yesterday.
- Yesterday, at church, Josh had to be taken out of the chapel--twice--by me, in which I'm sure those witnessing think that I'm the worst mother on the planet and I'll soon be fielding visits from DCFS. Though, I did manage not to scream at him. But I wanted to. After dressing my battle wounds, we returned to the chapel, where 5 minutes later, Josh was escorted out by his father. Approximately six minutes later, a sobbing four year old ran down the aisle and climbed up on my lap. I knew something was amiss because (a) he wasn't wearing shoes and (b) Wade was not in close pursuit. I figured that Wade was sitting out in the hall composing himself before rejoining us--perhaps taking a much needed break. However, after an acceptable amount of time had passed and no sign of Wade, I realized that Wade didn't have a clue that Josh was sitting on my lap in the chapel. I would've gotten up to inform Wade that I, indeed, had Josh (I mean, the Hadlock's have all but taken over center stage of the meeting anyways. We were sitting on the second row) but I also had a sleeping baby laying out on the bench. And I thought, the moment I stand up is the moment she'll roll off the bench and then what nasty names will people call us behind our backs (if they aren't already)? Luckily, I didn't have to make the decision because Wade strolled down the aisle, plucked Josh off my lap and strode back up and out the chapel, not to be seen for the rest of the meeting. Afterwards, some friends sitting in the foyer commented that Wade had come running in from outside and asked if they'd seen Josh. Nope, they replied, and Wade took off down the hall. Apparently, Josh had run away from Wade while they were outside and managed to make it around the corner and back into the chapel before Wade saw him. Wade was frantically looking for him and was on his way to tell me that our four year old was lost when he noticed Josh perched on my lap. When we finally met up after the meeting, Wade informed me that he had succeeded in selling Josh (a feat since I've been trying for like 2 years now. Kidding. Maybe.), but the person only had $20. Sold. Of course, we felt bad afterwards because Josh did overhear his father say that he had been sold, so we told him we'd never do that. It was a j0ke. He just shrugged and contined home. Josh had to sit in his room for four minutes for every time he had to be taken out (four times) plus another 5 minutes for not getting ready in the morning when I (politely, and then, not so politely and then demanded) asked him to before he got to eat lunch. 45 minutes later, all was better. Except for the mandatory nap he had to take after lunch for running off. Wow. That could've been a post all to itself. Sorry. I guess not such random thoughts afterall.
Monday, July 6, 2009
Random Thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment