Friday, July 31, 2009

Feeling Fit and Fabulous

Like I've mentioned before, I'm training for a half-marathon in August. This is the perfect long distance because it doesn't require the in-depth training that a full marathon requires, but it's no walk in the park either. If you're looking for a challenge, I'd suggest doing one.

I've been researching training plans for a while and had chosen a recommended one for the full marathon that left me feeling pretty burned out. Burned out enough that it was a full year before I could even think about running again and by that time I was 8 months pregnant. And then there was the one I attempted to try when I ran a half marathon a week after gaining seven pounds on a cruise. This one didn't take into account an ear infection, bronchitis, or a week in Mexico in January. So I didn't do so well. I started the same routine up when I started training for a half in May of this year, but luckily, I was saved by a wedding in Vegas with Elvis.

And so, for this half, I went back to the drawing board. I looked up different plans and found one that fit perfect. It's three days a week of running (instead of the usual 5-6 days) and included three days of cross-training (swimming or biking). This was ideal because I also wanted to stage my return to the Stansbury Days Triathlon that will be held roughly around the same time.

I coerced--er, convinced--two other friends to join me in both quests and we've spent the last two months furiously working out almost an hour a day six days a week. Sometimes a little more. Sometimes a little less. I devised a little calendar and--more, or less--we've stayed true to it. One friend has only missed two days the entire time. I've missed a few more though. I tend to oversleep. And I get really nervous about running long runs and then I make myself sick so I can't run. And I'm easily persuaded to not go.

So, although the schedule says that today was our second double digit run--10 miles--of the training plan, it was my first. When I was training for the marathon, I adopted a 25 minute run/5 minute walk plan. This was great for the first 30 minutes of every workout, but I struggled starting up running again after walking and by the time the marathon rolled around, I didn't do as well as I would've liked. I vowed this time that I was going to run as much of this race--13 miles--as I could possibly muster.

At the beginning of the training, I was sure I'd croak around 7 or 8 miles of straight running. I had never run that far without walking in my lifetime. However, as the training wore on, I've been able to train my body to do it.

This morning, at 5:30 am after a rough 4 hours of sleep, I started off on a 10 miler. I wasn't 100% confident that I was going to make it without walking, but I was willing to try. I was nauseous from thinking about it all night and I had to really fight that inner beast telling me to go back to bed.

But, man, am I glad I went out. It was incredible and--dare, I say--pleasant. Hard. But incredible. I felt great. We surpassed our time goal by over a minute (that's pretty good for a 10 mile run) and kept under pace for the entire run. We watched the sun rise up over the valley and I was reminded why I love it so much out here. We were the only ones out at such a crazy time (at least I didn't have to wear a headlamp like last week when we had to run at 5 am) and we even got honked at as we ran on the highway (as in "you guys are hot" not as in "move out of my way, idiots). Honestly, where else could you run on a highway?

After a 10 minute ice bath and a 30 minute catnap, I was good to go. My legs are a little sore, and right now--at 9 pm--I'm starting to feel my energy sagging. But overall, not too bad for the amount of energy I expended.

I thought for sure that I would be melting pounds off this summer and I've been pretty dismayed that the scale has been so unwilling to budge. But I feel better, and I'm getting there--lost 4 pounds just this week--and I do have to remind myself that I did just have a baby 8 months ago. My clothes fit better and my overall mood is much better since I've been working out. Though, I'm starting to feel the burn of working out so much and once the races are over, I'm going to scale back until our next big one. But, for the most part, this has best helped me cope with the two-child drama I was lamenting in yesterday's post.

Of course, it helps that I have two awesome buddies willing to embark on such crazy things with me and they both have four kids a piece. I have nothing to complain about.

No comments: