Monday, July 20, 2009

KSL Comment Boards

Disclaimers
If you are a frequent contributor to the KSL comment boards, then I don't mean "you" when I say "all the idiots on the boards".

Also, I'm aware of all grammar and spelling infractions. I made them on purpose for the sake of the post. If you aren't sure why there are so many spelling/grammar errors in my post, you should spend some time reading the KSL comment boards. www.ksl.com

It's not that I don't think their should be a place for public comment on noteworthy news items. I just think that maybe you should have to pass a IQ test to post something. Maybe a writing sample too.

Lets take this last weekend for example. 2 cars are involved in a crash at 1 am that results in the death of 6 people. All 6 people killed was in one car and the soul survivor was a four year old who was under the passenger dashbored since the car technically only fit five people. Who nows wear the 6th person was sitting.

One of the first comments was "what were they doing out at 1 am?" Like it would be any less traumatic if they were out at 11 am. Does it really matter? Idiots.

My next complaint is that people seem to have a way of turning the blame back to (a) the LDS church and (b) President Bush (c) the Republicans. Doesn't matter what the article is about; People not watering there yards: oh, must be because there "bishops" told them not to. House burns down: Oh, must be because President Bush was a dork. Hello? Maybe bad things happen to good people. Maybe people make bad choices. Maybe it has nothing to do with religion or politics. Besides, President Bush has been out of office hear for a while. How much more can really be his fault?

Up next on the complaint list: Trollers. These are the people that have nothing better to do than surf the KSL comment boreds and post irrelevant and stupid stuff usually blaming the LDS church or President Bush or the Republicans. After spending some time on their (researching for this post, of course) I can tell you how hard it is to navigate the boreds. It's not an user friendly site.

Next: The amount of proofreading that is NOT done before someone pushes "publish". If this is your one chance to put in your too cents, wouldn't you want to make sure your spelling and grammar were correct? If your anything like me, someone's argument is instantly invalidated in your mind because they started out a sentence with: Weather or not you think that its okay...
or
I'm board with what everyone has been saying...
These are not sixth graders writing mock letters to there congressmen. These are (presumably) grown adults who feel passionate enough about something to actually post a response to a article.

Their have been times wear I've been tempted to post something. But seeing as I know the difference between There and Their, plus your and you're, I'm afraid I'd be talking over there heads.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Amen! And that's the reason I rarely read comments on KSL stories.

Juliana said...

Yeah, the KSL commenting system is something to be avoided.

But... I'm pretty sure everything still IS George Bush's fault. After he's been OUT of office for eight years, I'll let it go.

.
.
.

Maybe.

Sandra said...

If I recall, Juliana, you voted for him the first time. So you can only have four years to come to grips with the reality that our country is hosed and getting worse, despite who's in office. :)

Hillary L said...

hilarious as always....I better start correcting myself on our blog!