Friday, July 11, 2008

Softball, Woftball

I've been counting down the days until we're finally done with the softball season and I can cross it off the list (number 18) and never embark on such a dumb idea again.

So at 6:35, I'm informed that we are down another couple. That makes three couples. So far, I'd only been able to find replacements for one couple. We have to have at least 10 people to play and so I was a little worried we were going to have to forfeit.

Wade and I arrived at the field at 6:50 and we were the only two people from the team there. At 6:55, four more people arrived and we were now down only 4 players. Right before we had to call the game, another couple showed up. We shoved in the couple's two sons, a barefoot 16 year old and a 10 year old, and proceeded to play.

Unlike other teams we've played in the past, this team was more our skill set, so it was pretty evenly matched. Right before we began the last inning it was 6-4, us, but they scored three runs. Wade ran in the tieing run for our team and put the game into extra innings. The other team scored a whooping six runs and I figured it was all over. However, I pulled it out for us and scored the tieing 6th run before the next batter hit a pop fly and we were back to the outfield. The next inning, neither team scored and so we had to keep going. They were up to bat and no runners got in. It was up to us to score. Wade was on base and I had just gotten our second out. The next person up to bat hit a line drive. Wade sprinted to third base. The batter after that isn't known for her hits reaching much further than second base, but we all channeled our positive energy. She managed to hit the ball into a pocket midfield and instead of trying to get her out at first, they threw the ball to second base, missing that runner and Wade was able to score.

In the end we pulled it off 14-13. YAY! We also went 40 minutes over the time limit. The umpire was not thrilled with that and took every chance to remind us of it. I told him we were okay with him calling the game because of time, but he said he couldn't do that. It's not our fault. We were just playing the game. I finally told him this was the most action we've seen all season so he should just let us play.

If every game was like this--and I wasn't the one stressing about whether everyone is going to show or not--it'd be a lot of fun and I'd play again. However, as it stands, we have exactly one game left and I'm not feeling too bad about the season ending.

No comments: