Friday, July 11, 2008

Book Review Friday July 11, 2008

Book: Fearless Fourteen
Author: Janet Evanovich
Pages: 310

I was so excited to see this book on the night table of a friend's. I've waited a long time for the next installment in the Stephanie Plum series and the timing was perfect.

I got into Stephanie Plum shortly after having Josh. I was trying to read all the books on the New York Times Bestseller's List and came across number 11 of the series on the list. I figured that I should probably start with number 1 and make me way up the ladder. Three weeks later, I was finally there. I read them like mad.

Stephanie Plum is a bond enforcement agency for her cousin Vinnie in New Jersey. She always manages to snag a few weirdos in every book--and most of the books have a couple of nutjobs to contend with--however, she didn't have a lot of skips this go round. I think that's part of what makes the books so funny--these people she's trying to apprehend because they've missed their court date.

In every book, Stephanie manages to find herself in heaps of trouble because of something she involves herself in that goes awry. This book was no different. After Loretta Rizzi misses her court date, Stephanie shows up on her doorstep to escort her back to the police headquarters to reschedule. Since no one will bail her out a second time, Loretta ends up back in jail and Stephanie is selected to pick up Loretta's kid from school. There's no where for him to go, so Stephanie ends up bringing this kid home with her. Then Loretta goes missing...Now Stephanie is stuck with a teenager and a group of other weird people who seem to latch on.

Meanwhile, she's still trying to deal with her own screwed up personal life. There's her cop on-again-off-again boyfriend, Joe Morelli, and then Ranger--a securities expert who Vinnie calls in to help every once in a while. Both guys are hot and she wrestles with the pros and cons of each relationship.

Of course, no Stephanie Plum book would be complete without Grandma Mazur making an appearance. Grandma Mazur is a little senile, but is easily one of my most favorite characters--although I really like Plum's sidekick, Lula.

I was a little disappointed in this book because I'm looking for a resolution between Joe and Ranger and for Stephanie to move on to a different chapter in her life. Also, Ranger didn't show up nearly as much this time as he has in the past. He's usually tailing Stephanie to keep tabs on her so she doesn't end up getting herself killed and that didn't happen this time. He was all but nonexisitent. Also, Grandma--nor the rest of the family, who are hilarious--were in the book all that much. It was mostly about Stephanie, and while still good, I like the books that explore the other characters better.

I'll definitely be picking up book 15 next year...it's not enough to detract me from the series as a whole, but I'd definitely recommend starting at one and working your way up to the top.

No comments: