I've mentioned before that I've been slightly concerned over Josh's inability to grasp what color objects are. For a while, everything was the color of a car from the movie Cars, albeit, the right color car. I showed this trick to the doctor at his three year old check-up in May. She looked at him and exclaimed "that's really smart."
"But it's not the right name. He's suppose to say what color the item is." I explained.
Her explanation--and she's the one with the degree--"Oh, that will come later. This, though, this is really smart."
We've been working with him a little over the last few months to see if maybe we could lessen the amount of learning that has to be rewired when he starts preschool in the fall. He seemed to pick up the colors really fast, so I was relieved. The other night, at dinner, we were quizzing him. We've been sticking mostly to the basic colors but decided to add in black. We showed him what black was and then told him to find us something black. He was right on top of the game, running back to the computer chair and yelling, "black, mommy and daddy. The puter chair is black."
Josh came back into the kitchen and asked me, "mommy, what color is water?"
I said "blue" because that's the color of crayon we use to draw water.
"No. This is blue." He said innocently, pointing to something blue on the table.
I was stumped. When did my three year old become smarter than me?
Saturday, July 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment