Monday, May 2, 2011

The Big 3-0

I turned 30 on Sunday. Crazy because 30 use to seem so old.

And I'm definitely not old.  Even if I have the same swimsuit as the old lady at the pool.  Even if that swimsuit is better suited for a 70 year old than a 30 year old.

So Wade offered to take me to Salt Lake for dinner on Saturday.  We stopped at a bike store to look for my birthday present and then headed off into the sunset for dinner.

As we pulled up by Hires, Wade slowed down and pulled in.

There are some interesting facts to note: (a) Wade never asked where I wanted to eat.  (b) Every surprise party my family has thrown in the last 20 years has occured at Hires.

So you can forgive me for jumping to the obvious conclusion: Wade had thrown me a surprise party for my 30th birthday.  At Hires.  And I was a little disappointed.  First, the kids were being babysat by one of my closest friends and I know that her vehicle is not big enough to ferry all her kids and my kids to the party, so obviously, she wouldn't be there.  Secondly, I knew that my entire family all had plans.  And not just "oh, we're hanging out with friends" kind of plans to throw me off the trail. Serious, verifiable plans. So who exactly would be at this party? Thirdly, it was Hires.  Again.  Site of both my dad's and my mom's 60th surprise birthday parties, Wade's surprise graduation party, my 16th surprise birthday party, and a host of other parties.  It's been done.  I was sorta hoping for a new venue.

But the joke was on me because there was no surprise party.  Just two unrelated parties that had nothing to do with me.  Wade said that he had always wanted to do that--take someone from my family to Hires on an occassion that would warrant a surprise party, and there not be any party.

He thinks he is so clever.

We enjoyed our dinner and then headed back home to pick up the kids and watch a redbox with them.  That was Wade's idea, because I don't know that I would ever think "hey, for my birthday, I want to watch a kid's movie with the kids."

We stopped at my friend's house to pick up the kids.  When someone finally answered the door, there were 30ish of my friends, all there to surprise me with a party!  It was a complete surprise.  I had NO idea.  All of my friends did really well at keeping it a huge secret.  Nicely done! They all brought gag gifts and we had a blast with a ton of food and fun.  All in all, it was a total success.

I did a lot in my 20's and I certainly don't regret any of those accomplishments, but I'm looking forward to ramping it up during my 30's.  There are a few things that I would definitely like to cross of that list sooner rather than later.

I'm still trying to get use to the idea of being 30 though.  30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30...it just seems so OLD.

3 comments:

Renae said...

Definitely awesome!

Juliana said...

Wow, you have 30 friends? My socially-awkward nerd self is a bit in awe. ;-)

Misty Moncur said...

Way to go Wade!