Valentines Day is funny at our house. Wade goes all out every year. Like, beyond anything I can compare to. And out of every gift giving holiday in the year--like Christmas and anniversaries and birthdays--he ALWAYS manages to surprise me on Valentines Day. On this arbitrary day in February designated to pay homage to a saint that got imprisoned and stoned to death. And this year was no different, except for one thing:
When Wade is excited about a particular gift, he will bug you and bug you and bug you until you go ballistic. Two weeks (!) ago, I was searching for something in the closet and he casually asked if I was looking for my Valentines present. I wasn't. But I said something like "I bet you hid it here." and lo and behold, there it was. It was all wrapped up of course. So I begged to open it and he wouldn't let me so I made him take it to work the next day so I wouldn't be tempted to open it.
And then I promptly forgot about it.
But Wade didn't. He came home and bugged me about it all night. And then the next day he went to work and I promptly forgot about my present again.
Until...he got home from work. By that point, I knew I wouldn't be able to endure two more weeks of him taunting me. So I went out to the car and brought it inside and opened it. It's his fault really. And there it was, my new toy. A Garminfone, which is an Android phone that also has all the Garmin navigation tools on it. So no more printing off instructions and then dodging traffic while reading them. Step by step directions to get anywhere, read right to me from a pleasant sounding English woman. And my favorite feature is that it will show me the nearest grocery stores and gas stations and restaurants where ever I happen to be, so no more driving around trying to find those things. And the android phone is awesome. Like a little computer where I can update my facebook status and my blog while sitting at the dinner table. And I can read books on it. And count calories. And so many crossword puzzles at my fingertips. And so many more things that I have no idea what they do. It's so cool that I even had a friend go out THAT WEEK and get one.
Like I was telling her, it's something you didn't know you needed until you got one. Then you wonder where it's been all your life.
It was a complete surprise and I'm happy that even after 10 Valentines he can still surprise me. And he still wants to. I surprised him on our first Valentines Day together when I drove 2 hours home from college just to sit in his bedroom and do homework next to each other. Then I've sorta struck out the last 8 years. But this year, I cooked up a good present by surprising him with U2 tickets. He didn't see that coming at all.
Man, I LOVE this guy!
For you see, each day I love you more
Today more than yesterday and less than tomorrow.
~Rosemonde Gerard
Monday, February 14, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
You guys are funny, and sweet to each other-- YAY! (And it IS so super cool!!!)
Aww look. Blog love. How sweet.
;-)
So cool! NOW I want one. Only thing is I don't want that nasty $30 data package charge that goes with it. BUT your post makes me want to look past my disgust for the $30 charge. (I'm holding out as long as I can.) :)
Post a Comment