If you would have told me 15 years ago that I would be on a bowling league, and loving it, I would have laughed. I'm no pro by any stretch of the imagination. My average is 124, and that's a 15 point increase from when I started three years ago. But I really look forward to going every Thursday.
Yet, here I am, and I have to say I love it. My two teammates are in their 50's and 60's. Most of the ladies are stay-at-home moms, but we have a few who are retired or work part time. One gal my age has no kids, but made Thursdays her day off from work so she could bowl. I'm the on-call math tutor for about three teenagers who's moms are on the league and every once in a while one or two of them will skip out of school to hang out at the alley so I can help them in between frames. Crazy.
For $8.50 a week, I get three games and two hours where someone else watches A. It doesn't matter if you have one kid or three kids or no kids, it's $8.50 for everyone and someone comes in to watch the kids while the moms play. I told my teammates a few weeks ago that if something were to change economically in our household, bowling would be one of the last things I'd give up. It's something I do that is totally frivously for myself. It's completely selfish. There's no income potential. There's really no educational payout either. Just...bowling. It's something that gets me out of the house on those cold winter days where I just want to lay around and do nothing.
We only play during the school year and by the time May rolls around, I'm always ready to take a break, but during the winter I love having somewhere to go and play. So today, I'm thankful for bowling.
Thursday, February 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I used to bowl. I even have my own Hammer ball. (shhhh, don't tell anyone)
Post a Comment