Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What's For Dinner Wednesday--Southern Oven "Fried" Chicken

Yeah, I'm a little behind this week.  No book.  No pictures.  I read a book.  I took pictures.  But, I'm just being lazy.  Probably something having to do with running my 5th (!) half marathon in a year on Saturday down in sunny St. George.  (The first time in the four years I've run this race that it's actually been WARM!!!) I'd give you all the details, but I'm not sure I'm ready to talk about it yet.  Maybe by Friday.  Meanwhile, I did cook up a new recipe though, so I must be feeling a little better about things...

This recipe comes courtesy of the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook I picked up last year.

1/2 C fat-free buttermilk (I couldn't find fat-free, so I used low fat)
1/2 C cornflakes, crushed
3 T flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 pounds chicken parts (Is there anything less appetizing then the phrase "chicken parts"?  Besides, what do chicken parts even look like?  And how do you ask for "chicken parts" at the butcher's counter without sounding like a moron? I just went with chicken breasts).
4 tsp canola oil

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees; spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.  (Spray liberally, or all your coating will stick.  Learned that the hard way.)
2. Pour the buttermilk into a large, shallow bowl.  On a sheet of wax paper (or, you know, another large bowl) combine the cornflake crumbs, flour, salt, and pepper.  Dip the chicken in the buttermilk, then dredge in the cornflake mixture, coating completely.  Place the chicken on the baking sheet and drizzle with the oil.  Bake 30 minutes then turn the chicken over.  Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until cooked through.

Seems simple enough, right?  And it was.  Also very tasty, though it was a little dry.  I think I overcooked it because there was an incident involving J. and a toy and the chicken ended up staying in the oven about 7 minutes too long.

I served my chicken parts with green beans, oranges and rice.  Though, A. and Wade wouldn't eat the green beans. Wade didn't eat the oranges, and J. ate nothing, save for a few kernels of rice, at all.  So really, I'm the only one who had a well-balanced meal.

Nutrition
Cal: 229 (for two chicken parts.  I'm not sure what this translates into for a chicken breast, since I have no idea what chicken parts are, but let's say for simplicity sake that one chicken breast = two chicken parts)
Fat: 10 g
  Sat Fat: 2 g
Chol: 64 mg
Sod: 295 mg
Carb: 11 g
Pro: 23 g

1 comment:

The Whitaker Family said...

I can't believe a WW recipe would call for chicken parts!!!! Shocking, really...

The rest sounds yummy though. I wonder where J. gets his picky eating from-- WADE. ;) Just sayin'...