Monday, January 17, 2011

Things I'm No Longer Going to Feel Bad About

I'm going to refuse to feel bad anymore about these things:

(1) Up until an hour ago, my Christmas tree was still up.  Yeah, that's right.  January 17.  And that's not even my record.  I think I kept it up until February 1 one year.  As a sidenote, I'm going to have to revamp my New Year's goal of becoming organized.  Organized people don't keep their Christmas trees up until January 17.  Organized people put their trees down on December 26th and neatly fold everything up into their colored totes and relabel the tops of the lids with all the new decor they accumulated over the season. 

Speaking of which...

(2) I am not a holiday decorator.  Sorry.  I don't want to be.  I have no desire.  I would rather buy a few good books or a new pair of shoes than spend the money or time on decorating.  This does not mean that I don't enjoy your efforts on decorating though so decorate away. 

(3) I am no longer going to pretend to not like football.  I will no longer participate in pretending that I'm being put out because my husband is watching a game.  In reality, I would probably prefer watching the game.  Now, football is not the be-all to Fall Saturday activities.  There are some activities that trump even football.  But on a regular weekend, when nothing else is going on, I like to watch football.  Go ahead.  Roll your eyes.  Shake your head.  Pretend that I'm somewhat inferior to you more intelligent beings.  I enjoy current events.  I read books.  I have a degree in mathematics.  And...I LIKE football.  There I said it.  And now, next football season, when I politely decline your invitation to craft you'll know why.  Oh and because I don't like to craft.

(4) I also like basketball.  But not as much.  And it's not as time consuming.

(5) I subscribe to the belief that church leaders are human, and therefore entitled to their own interpretations and their own system of doing things.  Therefore, I can find some of their ways to be faulty.  This does not mean that I don't believe in my religion.  This does not mean that I'm being disrespectful.  This does not mean that I won't do those things that are asked of me even if I think it's missing the point.  The only thing this means is that I am not following blindly.

(6) There are a few jobs I wouldn't mind having in the church.  Primary is not on that list.  I dread primary.  I teach the five year olds and I'm trying.  Really, really trying.  And every week I end with the same number of children that I started with, so no one has escaped.  And well, that's the best they're going to get from me. 

(7) I work hard at exercising.  And so I can gripe about a stubborn few pounds that won't seem to budge.  And I'm no longer going to feel bad about griping about those few pounds.  So there.

(8) We don't watch a ton of movies.  But what we do watch are documentary and reality type shows.  Like Modern Marvels and Mythbusters.  Our absolute favorite right now, though, is Goldrush.  It's a reality-type show about a group of guys who go off to Alaska to pan for gold.  It's like a train wreck.  And you know what?  I'm not even going to apologize for it.

(9) I was recently reclassified as an Aries from a Taurus due to the shifting of the earth or something like that.  I haven't heard so much commotion about astrological signs in...ever.  Everywhere I read, people are up in arms about their changed statuses.  Guess what?  You don't have to follow the traits of your "sign".  However, I recently read a description of an Aries, and it fit me like a tee.  It also fit J. like a tee and kind of explains why we ram heads so much.

(10) I took J and A to the gas station today to get a treat at 2 pm and we were all still in our pajamas.  Ha!

2 comments:

Juliana said...

Hey, look at me! I'm commenting! Maybe the "I Just Had a Baby" brainfreeze is starting to thaw. A little bit.

* I like football, too. And also crafting. I have no problem with crafting something while watching football.

* I have one place in my house that I decorate for holidays ... when I feel like it. For Valentine's Day this year, I left up some of my Christmas decorations that were red and added a Valentine's Day wreath, which is apparently the only Valentine's Day decoration I owned at the time. It makes me happy.

* Primary is hard. Not as hard as nursery, though. I dread... dread... DREAD that calling.

The Whitaker Family said...

That was probably one of my top favorite posts of all time from you, Sandra! Not only because of the tone but because I happen to see exactly eye-to-eye with you on just about ever bit of that. Not apologizing for all that is so freeing! (I know, its not the best word choice here, but all I can think of is a German one so that's the best you're gonna get!)

As you well know, I think-- I also like football, hate crafting, don't decorate for holidays (except Christmas, and that is limited), have a healthy skeptism about others' religious opinions that are presented as doctrine/fact, and don't understand the excitement about astronomical signs.

Anyway. I sure like you. And I'm glad you gave me a head's up about this post. :)