I can almost count on one hand the number of times I went camping growing up--including the annual girls camp with the church. So, imagine my surprise when I got married and Wade took me down to the local recreational outlet store to get fitted with a backpack.
You know, so we could pack all our stuff in our bags, walk for long periods of time to the middle of nowhere and fend off bears.
Being newly married and trying to impress, I feigned excitement.
Then we went on our first backpacking trip. It was a short--3 miles maybe--hike in and we hiked back out in time to make it to church on time the next day. Not bad.
Over the next few years, we went out a couple of times a year--looking back, definitely not as much as we should have gone out considering we didn't have weekend jobs or children. But we had a lot of fun. And then Wade told me about Kings Peak. I had never heard of it, but I was intrigued. We had planned to go over Labor Day one year, but a series of job changes and school kept us from actually doing it. By the next year I was pregnant and the trip was put on a permanent back burner.
Fast forward to 2007 when I was compiling my list. Hike King's Peak made it's entry and I kind of laughed at how improbable it was. But then last summer I was talking about it with a friend and we decided that 2010 was the year we were going to do it. The original plan had 10-12 couples from the ward, but over the course of the year, everyone backed out except for the four of us.
Friday, July 30, 2010, I crossed this off my list when I summited the peak at about 1:30 pm. There were a lot of things that happened and we met some fantastic people. To keep this post short, I'm going to post about the actual trip--with pictures--in another post.
12 down, 88 more to go.
Monday, August 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment