Sunday, April 19, 2009

Best Calling Ever...Maybe

In March I was released from my calling as RS babysitter...uh, secretary. I had been RS secretary for two years following a very stressful two years as the Primary Secretary. Since being released, I've been laying low. I'm not someone that needs a calling to feel needed and loved. Sometimes, I just enjoy showing up on Sunday to church for the sole purpose of coming to church.

But my days were numbered since our enormous ward was split and the picking pool had been greatly diminished. And so I wasn't surprised when I was pulled out of RS this morning to chat with the bishop.

He called me to be the Communications Specialist for RS. I asked him what he thought this meant. He didn't have a clue. I asked the RS president and she was vague with her description..."Uh, you're in charge of advertising."

"Posters?" I asked. "Because I don't do posters very well. I'm not an artist."

"I don't think so." She replied.

We have a few women in the ward who are a little particular about how their things are advertised and I can tell you right now I'm going to be a sore, sore disappointment. If that's really what I'm suppose to do.

But if the RS president doesn't know what I'm suppose to do, then who does?

A friend and I were theorizing what exactly the calling meant. She thought maybe I should be giving out vocabulary lists and quizzing everyone the following week. I thought maybe a "word of the day" feature where each instructor and speaker had to somehow work it into their lessons. Something like rhubarb. Or distend. I mean, there should be something to keep our attention in Sunday School, right?

People more spiritually guided then me would try to find out from someone--anyone--what exactly this calling entails. They'd make up tasks so that it looked like they were doing their job and doing it well. I, however, just googled Communications Specialist LDS Relief Society and nada. If it's not in Google, it must not really exist and I consider myself the proud owner of one of those callings. One of those callings that we can only dream about when we're doing something much more responsible/time-consuming/dirtier in the church. A made up calling. And who am I to tell the people who made up the calling what I'm suppose to do, so I'll just continue laying low. Maybe they'll forget about me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe something similar to this?
http://usar.tamu.edu/documents/Info/Communications.pdf

ROFL!!!!!!!!