Saturday, October 25, 2008

If I Were Running for President

I grew up in a very nonpolitical family. Politics were never discussed around the dinner table. I can't actually recall what was discussed, but apparently, nothing earth shattering. This all changed when I got married. I married into a very political family--well, more so I married a very political man. I was unaware of this--like BYU football--until after the vows were swapped. We dated through the 2000 election debacle (just like we dated through the 2000 football season), but I don't actually recall discussing anything about it (or BYU football) at length. In fact, I didn't even vote in 2000. Our dorm television was tuned to music videos most of the time and I paid very little attention to the political scene.

And then, seemingly overnight, it changed. All of a sudden, I care. And I'm debating my mom (my mom!) over lunch about who should and shouldn't be a leader. And I'm mad. Disappointed. Disgusted. If this is what politics is about, then I'm glad I didn't grow up in a political family. I'm glad I didn't have to listen to this for months on end every election season.

Here's how I see it: We have two men, neither one of them 100% capable of holding such a prestigious job as President of the US of A. The question at hand is to determine who would be the most capable of holding this esteemed position. So they talk. And talk. And talk some more. And some people really buy into the bs they're throwing out and others of us just shake our head. The reality is that neither man is going to be able to wave a magic stick and erase all the bad. On January 21, 2009, scores of military men and women will not be arriving back in the states, the War on Terror over. On January 21, 2009, Wall Street will not arise from the depths of despair and resume it's once all-powerful hold on the economy. Houses will not begin to sell. Unemployment will not be nullified. Health care will not be available to every man, woman and child.

So, as long as Obama and McCain are talking, I'm going to talk too. Here's a list of things I'd do if I were running for President:
  • Propose a flat tax system. Every working person--whether they are documented or undocumented workers--should have a percentage of their pay deducted for federal income tax. As long as you are living here, using our resources, you should have to pay something into the system. I'm all for programs that help out the disadvantaged and poor--welfare, housing authority, etc. But not as a long-term solution that I'm paying for out of my pocket while someone else is reaping the benefits. Nearly 40% of the nation pays zero federal income tax. How do we ever expect to get ahead, fiscally, if only 60% of the country is feeding into the tax pool. Refunds are great, but I'd rather have the money now. So a flat tax across the board. The number one rule for saving is to pay yourself first.
  • No negative campaigning. If I were running for president I would address NO rumors, allegations, allegiances, etc. Nor would I drag that in on my opponent. The race should be fought on issues and issues alone. I don't have anything to hide, and if I did, I would put it out there before the start of campaigning season so it was no surprise. I'm not going to spend my campaign dollars on wasted breath in defending my family, friendships, religion, yada, yada, yada. I'm tired of the mud-slinging, backlashing, petty campaign manuevers that have been implemented--on both sides--the last few elections.
  • I'd wear jeans. And a nice shirt--on occasion. Maybe dress up for the big events. But, if I'm of the people, I should probably dress like the people. And maybe I'll be a big star on SNL where they'll poke fun of my clothing. But most likely, people will feel that they can actually relate to this person.
  • I'd translate all that jargon into something that the normal person could understand. Here are my views on all the issues, in easy to understand language. Take them or leave them. I won't skew my words to attract the most voters. I won't flipflop without a good reason. But I won't promise I won't flipflop. Views can be changed. I respect that. As long as you have a good reason.
  • I'm not going to stand up there and tell you the things you want to hear in hopes that it would get me elected and then shrug my shoulders when asked--3 years later--what promises I've kept. We've all been around long enough to know that nothing is really going to change, despite who gets elected.

Clearly, there's a reason I'm not in the running for President of the United States, but I sure wish someone with a backbone was.

1 comment:

Juliana said...

Sounds great. You've got my vote! :) ha ha