It's that time of year again! I know some people LOVE Mother's Day and some people (a lot of mom's actually) don't. I'm pretty ambivalent towards it. I like the recognition of all the hard work I do but I don't bask in the glory of the day.
Well, mostly anyways.
The first couple of Mother's Days I experienced, I spent a lot of them in frustration. It wasn't until just a few years ago that I changed my perspective on the day.
* It's not a day I get to take off. If I take the day off, then I just have to do it all--and more--the next day.
* An uninterrupted nap is a great way to show mom how much you care.
* The opportunity to use the bathroom without an audience is another great way to show mom how much you care.
* Sometimes, you have to buy your own chocolate. And then share it when the natives discover your secret stash.
* Your kids sit on you even though there's plenty of room on the bed because they love you.
* It's adorable when both kids get to sing in Sacrament for the first time, even if someone else's kid with a big noggin' pushes your three year old out of your line of sight. It's also the first time, even if for only a brief moment, that your bench has been absolutely quiet and still in almost four years.
* Spiders are no less frightening at 3:30 in the morning than at other rational and sane times.
* Dinner doesn't make itself.
* Family walks are less enjoyable when the bratty neighbor kid tags along.
* How come my kids are so cute and other kids aren't?
Man, I have some awesome kiddos. I also have an awesome husband. And two lazy cats. And some beyond amazing friends. Plus a cool mommy myself who I have the opportunity to visit on a weekly basis. Not a lot of people get that. Life is pretty good right now.
Happy Mother's Day to all those moms and almost-moms and surrogate moms out there.
Sunday, May 13, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Heehee, I laughed at a lot of that! And I got a nap today (and not much else) and I was SO grateful for it! You are a wise girlie-- and I agree and feel the same way about just about everything you wrote. Happy Mother's Day, Sandra-- I'm so grateful that you're my friend and neighbor! xoxo!
Post a Comment