Sunday, May 23, 2010

Road Trip--Part 1 (of some indeterminate number)

A few months ago, we decided to take a road trip.

Then we tossed around a few ideas and settled on Northern California.  However, looking at the age of our car occupants, we tamed our ideas down and last Sunday, decided to take a road trip to Ouray, Colorado via Moab.

Yes, last Sunday.

So we made the reservations (or did we?) and Wednesday was our target date to leave.  The plan was to drive to Green River on Wednesday night and then head to Arches on Thursday.  Spend the night in Moab Thursday night, play around some more in Arches on Friday, and then head on over to Ouray for Friday and Saturday night.

Wow.  There was a lot to get done in such a short amount of time.  So Wednesday rolls around, and Wade showed up at home about an hour and a half earlier than I expected.  Oops.  No one was packed.  The house was slightly chaotic.  But we left about the time I thought we would, 7 pm.  I figured A. and J. would sleep  once we got out of Provo and all would be good.  And look I was right:


Too bad it didn't last.  It was at this point--about Spanish Fork--where I came to realize Rules of the Road #2.  I had inadvertently only packed one binkie for A.  And it wasn't tethered to anything.  So her favorite game became Throw the Binkie and Then Squeal Until Mom Contorts Herself Into a Pretzel to Find It On the Back Seat Floor in the Dark.  Repeat.

Meanwhile, I had a fleeting thought that I should call the hotel (the illustrious Super 8 in Green River) to inform them that we were going to be late.  I called and they informed me there was no reservation under my name.  Looking over my carefully printed confirmation papers, I realized that in my haste on Sunday to make reservations online, I did not actually hit "Reserve Now" on this particular hotel.  I then had to call the 1-800 number and get a reservation.  So, I was trying to set up a reservation, I had squealing banshee girl in the back competing with what is possibly the LOUDEST tires on the planet and trying to interpret this guy from India.  

After everything was sorted, I could relax.  We were driving through my old college stomping grounds and the drive from Price to Green River brought back a lot of memories.  It's been a while since we've been down that way and a lot has changed.  We were on an adventure, and for the first (of many times throughout the 4 days we were gone) I thought "why didn't Wade and I do things like this more when it was just the two of us?"


We made it to Green River around 10ish relatively unscathed and checked in.  I got my Wyndham Reward Points.  Wade got his ice bucket.  The kids got cable tv.  We were all happy and excited to be on vacation.

Part 2 Tomorrow--Arches, Cows, Answered Prayers and where 90% of the Rules of the Road were conceived.

No comments: