This is another recipe to come from my mom's cookbook. She made this quite a bit growing up and I've never been brave enough to try it. Say hello to me breaking out of my cooking shell. SO easy to make, if you take the shortcuts.
1 Onion, chopped
1 C Celery, chopped
Sauté in bacon grease. (Which I didn't do. I just cooked them in a pan with some Pam.)
Parmesan cheese to taste (I used about 1/4-1/2 cup)
A little macaroni (maybe 1-1 1/2 cups?)
1/2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled (I used about 1/2 package of bacon bits)
2 cans stewed Italian tomatoes
2 cans beef stock (Campbell's)
2 small cans tomato juice (I put in 24 oz from a jar of tomato juice I had)
1 can Ellis white beans (I think Ellis is the brand name. I used S&W)
1 can string beans (green beans in a can?)
3 cut up carrots (only had one carrot on hand)
2 C shredded cabbage
2 C water
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano
Combine and cook all day. *Do not add salt. Beef stock is very salty.*
It was very good, and surprisingly, Wade really liked it even though he wasn't fond of it when my mom made it on New Years Eve. I'm not sure what I did different. Wish we would have had bread to go with it. I need to get on the ball more. I had this going at 10 am so I don't know what my deal was. Oh well. Next time.
For the record, this is my 14th STRAIGHT new recipe. I haven't missed a week in 2010 yet. And I have two full weeks of new recipes to show for it. Look at me go. You didn't think I had it in me, did you?
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment