This was a random find in my Amish cookbook. I've never heard of caloshies before and a quick search on google confirmed my suspicion that the recipe sharer made it up. However, it did turn out to be pretty good and opened up a line of communication never before seen in my household: What could we do differently to this recipe to take it from pretty good to REALLY good. If it was dipped in chocolate and all filling was removed, then Josh would probably eat it. Aunika eats pretty much anything, so she had little input. But Wade had a few good ideas and I was proud of myself for involving everyone.
Caloshies
1.5 pounds of hamburger, fried (I used ground turkey)
1 C pizza sauce
1 recipe feather roll dough (see below)
Pepperoni, cut in pieces
Grated cheese (any cheese would work. I used mozzarella).
Feather Roll Dough
5 C bread flour
1 T instant yeast
1/2 C mashed potatoes
1/2 C warm water
1/4 C sugar
1/3 cup oil (I used olive oil)
1 tsp salt
Make the feather roll dough first: In a mixer bowl, combine 2-3 C of the flour and yeast. Combine the rest of the ingredients and add to flour and yeast mixture. Beat for 3 minutes then add remaining 2 C of flour by hand. Can be refrigerated for several hours or overnight.
**By the time I was done mixing everything in, it was a big crumbly mess, so I had to add water to get it to the consistency of bread dough. Also, I used real mashed potatoes, but if you're of the boxed persuasion, I'm sure you would get the same results. **
Now on to the Caloshies: Mix hamburger and pizza sauce together. Make balls of the roll dough and roll out onto a greased surface. They should be about 6 inches in diameter. Spoon 3 T of meat mixture in the center. Top with pepperoni and a few sprinkles of cheese. Fold in 4 sides of dough and pinch top to seal. Sprinkle more cheese on top. Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. To serve, top with additional pizza sauce.
**The dough made about 16 Caloshies, but I only made 6 of them. Then I rolled the rest into little balls and cooked them plain. The filling itself was pretty plain. It needed some spices of some sort. And then we got to thinking that maybe taco meat and cheddar cheese would taste really good. Wade thought maybe more pizza sauce would do the trick. I had exactly 1 C of pizza sauce and so we didn't top them after they cooked. Maybe that would have helped too. And it needed more pepperoni then what I put in.**
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Cool! I don't think I've ever mentioned it but I'm amazed and thoroughly impressed by your trying a new recipe every week. WOW!
Post a Comment