I gave my third speech this evening in Toastmasters. I'm still a little (read: horrifically) nervous each time I stand up to give a speech, though I seem to be able to calm down during it. Part of the problem is that I'm clearly the youngest one there. I'm scared that what I'm trying to say won't come across nearly as packaged as it is in my head. Or I'll sound stupid. Or I'll sound like a young idiot. You know, the usual fare. Tonight, my feet were awfully sweaty in my kick-butt red patent leather high heels (don't ask) and I was sure I was going to careen right into the world's smartest cab driver, Ross, who incidently commented on my kick-butt red patent leather high heels, when I walked in earlier.
Tonight, my speech was titled Live, Laugh, Love; What I've Learned in the Last 10 Years. Coincidently, today marks 10 years since I graduated from high school. 10 years! I thought I was only 21 years old.
I decided to do a mock graduation speech. I addressed everyone as though we were in an auditorium and made it an inspirational, sappy speech. Part of my intent was to do a speech that didn't rely a lot on humor, since that's what I tend to fall back on when I'm nervous. It's good to be well-rounded and not feel the need to make jokes during EVERY speech. I think I accomplished that goal pretty well.
I doned my graduation cap that I dug out of the very bottom box in the closet. I was surprised I still had it. My speech mostly droned on about lessons I've learned in the last 10 years. Basically, look to your elders, live life for yourself, find a passion, and find someone to love.
To top off the night, in the prize basket was a $1 bill I picked after winning speaker of the night. So after anteing up my money for my grammar infractions (25 cents a pop) I became 75 cents richer for showing up at Toastmaster's this evening. Well, if you minus the babysitter, I'm actually $19.25 in the hole. But who's counting?
The best compliment came at the end of the evening when Brian, an amazing speaker who was sitting next to me tonight, told me how much he enjoys my writing style. It meant a lot because he's a pretty accomplished writer/speaker himself. Funny story--a few weeks ago, I gave a speech about remembering names. Tonight, Brian, who is probably in his early 60's, sent me a note like we were in class, asking me the name of the lady across the way from us. I, of course, knew, so I wrote it down and sent it sailing back his way. Ah...brings back good memories from high school. You know, minus the guy older than my father sending me notes.
My dad, who has never commented on any of my speeches before tonight, made an awkward attempt at critiquing this particular one in the parking lot. He made some good points, even if the delivery was a little off. A "good job" would be nice though.
I've been toying around with the idea of perhaps entering the fall speech contest in the humorous category. I guess the worst thing that could happen is that I don't make it past the club level. For the speech contest, three judges determine who should win for the club level. Then you go to the district level and then to a big regional conference. I'm not sure where you go from there. One can hope somewhere neat, but most likely Kansas. But, that's not until November, so I still have time to think about it. I think I could pull some pretty funny things out of my sleeves. What do you think?
Thursday, June 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
How can you NOT try? You are seriously one of the funniest people I know...I'd like a souvenir from your trip to regionals or nationals or whatever, because there is no way that you're not going.
Post a Comment