Monday, June 15, 2009

Eight Years Down, Infinity to Go

Today marks our eight year anniversary. Wow! It's only been eight years? I mean...uh...it's already been eight years?

I've made no secret of what I want for our anniversary, and Wade did not disappoint. This morning, I awoke at 5:15 (yes, it does exist) to leave for the pool and my first day of simultaneous training for both a triathlon and a half marathon set for August. Our plan was to swim at the outside pool in Stansbury, but since we've somehow been beamed to Portland, Oregon, the weather has prevented us from doing so and now we're reduced to swimming at the indoor pool during the hours of their choosing coinciding with husband work schedules and kids, which run 5:30 am to 7:00 am.

So after I returned, Wade said that he was giving me my present but that I had to find it. It was hidden somewhere inside the house. My spirits were dashed for a bit, because, really, how do you hide a road bike inside the house? So I looked under the bed.

"Well, it's not going to fit there." Wade replied. "It's in the basement."

I was momentarily mystified because the basement is bare. But then I remembered our little food storage alcove where all the doors are being stored. And I remembered on Saturday thinking that the doors looked different from how they were being stored from before but not really investigating. Good thing, because hidden behind them was my road bike.

YAY!

Apparently, it had been sitting there for the past three weeks and each time I left in the morning to go biking on Wade's brother's old mountain bike that weighs about as much as I do, Wade would lay in bed and laugh and laugh and laugh because just down the stairs was a brand new road bike.

I got him a great gift too that I'll have to talk about later because he hasn't received it yet. It was a humdinger to fit in the car, plus the two kids, but I managed.

Anyways, eight years. Which is, incidently, quite close to an entire decade. It's funny how fast time goes. And when I look back at all the stuff we've done, I'm amazed. We've run a marathon together, both finished school, gone on a cruise, built a house. Had two kids. Crazy. I still feel like I'm only 21 and this can't possibly be my life, but I guess I'm growing up.

We survived the seven year itch, which wasn't all that itchy, and a year of incredible stress. We're older, wiser, and funnier looking than we were eight years ago, but we still love each other. We even got to eat dinner together twice this last week.

It's hard to mesh together because we're both always right, but somehow it works. We have our outside interests and that helps keep us grounded.

We're happy and still in love and that's all that matters eight years down the road.

No comments: