Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Lego Monster

For Christmas, I thought it'd be fun to get a set of Legos for Josh--a throwback to the days we were kids and we got Legos for Christmas. When I was at Toys R Us, 9 months pregnant and clearly not thinking rationally, there were shelves and shelves of Lego kits to choose from. I remember when Legos were just blocks and you built the things you wanted to. Now they come in different kits with instruction booklets.

Undeterred, I figured it'd be a nice father-son bonding experience if nothing else, and so I pressed forward with the whole Lego idea.

Actually, the idea came from the friend I use to swim with. She just handed her boys the Lego catalog and had them circle which kit they wanted for Christmas (within reason of course). She says she's done this the last few years and everyone comes away happy.

So I scoured the shelves looking for the perfect kit for Josh and Wade to assemble. I found a carwash. Not knowing anything about Legos and their cooresponding kits, I picked it up.

Josh was excited Christmas morning when he unwrapped his Lego set. After we got home from the grandparent's house that night, he and Wade sat down to assemble it. For only being three, his attention span held out quite nicely, but admittedly, Wade put the majority of it together, reminding me quite often that it was meant for children 5-12 years old and not a three year old.

In a fit of frustration all that hard work went down the drain when Josh got mad and ripped it apart a week later. Hence, probably why the Lego kits are made for older children.

Now he's become attached to the instruction booklet. In the back are pictures of other kits you can get. Like the train set that Josh has his eye on. He wants it. Really bad. And if history is any indication, my attempts to placate him with a "we'll see" will only yield a kid that will bother me every day about it. I made the collosal mistake of saying "maybe for your birthday". The concept of his birthday being more than four months away seems to be a bit much for him to grasp and so every morning, I'm unindated with questions: "is it my birthday?" I fear that he may not forget about the train and when he gets something more age appropriate--since the train is a bit above his current skill level--for his birthday, I'll have to hear about it some more.

I blame Lego. What happen to just Lego blocks?

No comments: