10. Being able to TiVo it so I don't have to watch every little event until the event I want--20 minutes before the end--comes on. Oh, and then rewatching the most exciting parts over and over again.
9. Amazing crowd support even if the home team isn't doing as well. The crowd gets behind every match as though the athlete were from their home country. In the Olympics, country lines are blurred and everyone is cheered on.
8. Incredible athletes that are pursuing lifelong dreams. The least fit of these people surpass my fittest ever and I'm always in awe at how much of their life is devoted to their sport.
7. I really enjoy watching an underdog come in and shatter the dreams of the favorite. It makes me think, in a perfect world, any of us could be there doing just that.
6. Human interest stories that tug at your heartstrings. It's nice to put human characteristics to these amazing athletes--like having to swim in the final with the new girlfriend of your former love interest.
5. Beach Volleyball bodies. Nowhere on this planet are there more sculpted, tanned bodies. These ladies look incredible. I keep thinking I should take up beach volleyball, but alas I live in Utah. And I don't tan. The guys aren't too bad to look at either. I'm glad they play in the long shorts and not the speedos though.
4. The end of primetime viewing montage where a popular song is chosen as the "Olympic anthem" and we get to see the most exciting parts of the day. It always brings tears to my eyes.
3. I LOVE how the announcers get so excited. Take for example the 4x100 men's relay last night. I would imagine they were jumping off the couch with excitement and anticipation the last 25 yards to the finish. However, they should give pointers to their gymnastics and diving counterpoints. Women's gymnastics has always been a favorite event of mine, but lately the girls look like they're being marched to their deaths and the announcers nitpick and criticize every little move. It's too much stress for how young these girls are. This is a lifelong dream. Let them revel in it for a moment before snatching it away.
2. Surprise endings. With the time differences and the internet displaying the results--whether I want them to or not--before I can watch the event, it's refreshing to get completely surprised by the ending, as what happened with the men's 4x100 relay final last night.
1. Close finishes. I'm a sucker for things that come down to the very last and you truly get to see who wants the gold medal more. Athleticism and odds are thrown out the window and all that is left is pure willpower and adrenaline.
Monday, August 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment