Friday, June 6, 2008

Softball Update

As it turns out, I'm really bad at softball. I think part of the problem is that there just isn't enough going on to hold me rapt for the entire time, but yet there's enough going on that I can't just sit out in left field picking my nose either.

Last night was our second game of the season. I finally understand why no one wants to be the person who orchestrates this whole affair. It's a nightmare. People commit to being on the team, then don't show up. One couple, who I talked to a mere 8 hours before the start of the game never even showed. Didn't call, didn't get a substitute, nothing. Just didn't come. Pisses me off. I certainly wouldn't have told the substitutes of another couple to bring their 3 young children because there would always be two people in the dugout if I knew that this other couple wasn't coming. I just don't get it. I understand things come up. But, a phone call? It's the courteous--and adult--thing to do. I knew that this was going to happen with this particular couple and I was hesitant to invite them on the team, but someone else got to them first. Arrrrrgh. Next year, if people want to play softball, they can manage the team themselves.

Back to my original complaint though. I'm no good at softball. I can hardly hit the ball. I can't catch to save my life and my arm is weak. Lack of these three essentials do not render a good softball player. While I enjoy being outside with my husband and friends doing something active, I'm an embarassment to the team. I can actually feel one guy roll his eyes at me.

"I'm sorry." I want to yell at him. "All the girls who played softball at my high school were lesbians. That's why I never tried out." That and the game is somewhat boring. And I'm not very good. But I keep my mouth shut for good reason. His wife played softball in high school.

So last night, we were up 11-2. I thought we were doing pretty good. But the other team managed to sniff out our weak spot--namely the 5 1/2 month pregnant lady in right field--and they scored 11 runs in one inning. We never could rebound and the final inning they scored another 4 to put them at 17. I went to the scorekeepers box to get the final score so we could know how bad we were doing and the lady tried to soothe me over by saying "You guys are really starting to come together and look good." As in we didn't drop the ball nearly as many times towards the end of the game as we did at the beginning.

I tried making pathetic excuses like "it's been two weeks since we played" and "our regulars aren't here today." The reality was that we just didn't play good. We had some good moments, but for the most part we just bumbled the ball and swung at horrible pitches.

No comments: