Okay, I think I'm ready to put this in writing--
This year--August, to be exact--I'm going to be doing a HALF IRONMAN!
1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run.
I know. It sounds crazy just reading it, right? Imagine saying it out loud! I'm going to swim for a mile, then I'm going to ride my bike for over 50 miles and THEN I'm going to run 13 miles.
So let me back up a bit...
Last September, I was signed up to do a duathlon with my buddy M. As the summer wore on, I was wearing out really fast. I was also nursing an ankle injury. I put in a pretty dismal half marathon in August followed by a half-hearted sprint tri the next weekend, and I made the decision not to do the duathlon. I emailed the race director and she graciously rolled my entry fee to 2012.
But I wasn't really thinking about 2012 because, as you may recall, Baby #3 was on it's way.
And then December happened. At one of my lowest points (hi, welcome to my roller coaster), I received an email from the race director reminding me of my deferred race fee and she wanted to know which race I wanted to sign up for. And suddenly, I felt like I had something to look forward to.
I spent a lot of time considering my options--all of them. Not just which race to do, but non-race options as well. I don't want anyone thinking that I signed up for this thing on a whim. I spent many hours contemplating the impact it would have on my life as well as our family's life. And in the end, I really felt like this was a unique opportunity at a fraction of the cost and I would regret not taking advantage of it.
(I know this sounds like I put a race ahead of having a baby, but there were other factors at play. Not just this one thing. I'm just choosing not to share those parts).
Anyway, after much contemplation, I decided to jump into the biggest race they offer and sent back the email declaring my intentions.
Then I set about telling people. I didn't want to just tell everyone. There was a part of me that was afraid that it would be too much for me to handle. The training and the actual race. But, after a few initial balks at the idea, pretty much everyone I've told has been very supportive of the idea.
In fact, my buddy M, who I was suppose to go with last year, signed up to do the duathlon again this year.
But the most surprising thing was when I told my running buddy H.
H looked at me like I was crazy and said "you can't do it without me."
I laughed and said "but, H, you just had a baby in September. Your fifth baby, to be precise. I don't want you to feel like you have to do this." but inside I was thinking "please, please, please do this so I don't have to do it--the training and the race--alone."
A few days later, H called up and said "I'm serious. You can't do this without me. Send me a link to the website. I'm signing up."
And that, folks, is true friendship! I'm excited and terrified at what lies ahead. But, in the end, I will be able to cross off my list something I thought I wouldn't be crossing off for years to come, if ever. An Ironman (Half or Full) really was a pipe dream I never thought I'd have the guts to try.
And I have the coolest friends EVER! M. and H. rock!
Tuesday, February 7, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
As crazy as it sounds, I'm actually a little jealous with all the races you've done. I haven't had enough time in between kids to really get up to full racing again, but I'm hoping to have a little more time after this baby to get in some fun races. Have fun training! :)
(YAY for another blog post!!!) And I think you're a little confused-- let's get this straight-- YOU are the coolest friend! I'm glad I'll be there to witness you two! Its going to be amazing-- so excited!!!
You're ALL crazy! :)
Post a Comment