This was a little more labor intensive than I thought it would be and as a result, dinner was at 8 pm. However, if you tend to cook a lot of chicken at one time and freeze it, then that will speed up the process. I halved the recipe because there's only 2 1/2 of us that eat. The amounts I'm listing here are for the full version.
4 chicken breasts (giggle), cooked 4 sliced carrots
2 diced potatoes 1 C frozen peas
1 onion 1 cube butter
3/4 C flour Chicken bouillon granules
1-2 C milk 1-2 C water
Crust:
2 C flour 4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt 1/2 C shortening
1/2 to 2/3 C water
Boil chicken in water. Cut chicken into chunks. Boil vegetables 15-20 minutes. Chop onion. Add butter, onion, flour, bouillon granules, milk and water in pan on medium heat. (Will thicken--fast). Add vegetables and chicken to sauce; put in 9 x 13 pan (sprayed with cooking spray). Top with crust. (Apparently, sometime during the process you're suppose to make the crust. That's why dinner was so late. And that's what I get for following each line of the directions. Note to self: read everything first and then plan it out better. So make your crust while the vegetables are cooking. Roll it out so that it fits nicely over the pan.) Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes. (Check after 30 minutes. Mine was done.)
Overall, this was a pretty good chicken pot pie. Wade said he liked it better than the store bought ones. I think I put in too much onion. So next time, I would use less onion. But, it was pretty good. And if I would've been a little more prepared, it wouldn't have taken so long to make.
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I enjoy making chicken pot pies, when I want to take the time for it. Sometimes I top it with biscuits instead of pie crust. Seems faster to me, and it's yummy.
We make chicken pot pies, too. Only problem is the crust never cooks all the way, and for some reason Asher doesn't like raw crust. *sigh* I love chicken pot pies, though. :-)
Post a Comment